Search My Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

Dinner's in the Crock Pot 3/28/2010

Hi friends and readers. I made something easy yesterday, I actually started it without 2 of the ingredients, then went shopping, bought 3 shirts and a basketful of grocheries from Safeway, added the canned corn, diced tomatoes and some tomato paste, stirred it and went out again to visit a friend at her hair salon with Janelle. I invited Janelle to dinner, then Robert suggested I invite Tim and Rebecca too, which they happily agreed to. Their new baby slept the entire time. This crock pot soup served all 5 of us with no leftovers. I also made a yummy salad.

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup from a new blog I found called Real Mom Kitchen
http://realmomkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/01/crock-pot-chicken-tortilla-soup.html

1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz size - southwest style, if possible)
1 packet enchilada sauce mix (or if you can't find this, mild taco seasoning works well too)
1 1/2 C water
1 can (8 oz)tomato sauce (1 spoon of tomato paste)
1 can ( 10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken soup (I used a packet)
2 C milk
3-4 boneless chicken breasts (I only used 2 chicken breasts)

In crock pot, mix the enchilada packet together with the water and tomato sauce. Add cream of chicken soup and milk and whisk together until smooth. Add chicken. Pour drained black beans, drained corn and diced tomatoes on top of that.Cook on low 6-8 hours.Before serving, take out chicken and shred or dice, then put back and stir it all together. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, lime, avocado, or tortilla chips. (I put out yogurt and chips, I was the only one that added yogurt)

Mexican Salad
1/2 head of Romaine
1 1/2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup of cilantro leaves
3/4 medium red onion, diced
juice from one lemon
teaspoon of salt

I topped my soup and salad with tortilla chips

2 comments:

  1. I would say "april fool's" but yes we have one within walking distance of our house or the english center where Robert works. There's another one across town as well. We aren't in the 3rd world as much as one would expect.

    ReplyDelete